Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Accurate Camera, Glitch Fixes

Hello all,

So after a glorious turn of events, my linear algebra class is not going to happen this summer!(not enough students). Wasn't looking forward to that anyway. lol. Anyway, that frees up a bit of time in my busy days to work on this : )

So its been a little slower but I've been working on this engine little by little and I finally have hit another milestone - a new camera has been implemented : ) I will have to credit Mercury for his great blog post on the subject(his "In the Shade of the Wave" is linked to the right), as it probably would have taken me a little while to come up with an idea like that(or at least, the method I was using would have been a painful amt of work). Pretty much the main difference between this camera system and one that stays centered on the player is that if you're moving fast, the player has to catch up with the camera. Aside from that-- when you jump vertically, things feel more in place as things are vertically cut into sections of center points rather than centered(helps to keep track of the action). Last thing to note about the camera system is of course that I finally added looking up/down when you hold the directions up and down, respectively.

(Screenshot: Running faster than the camera with the speed shoes)


Aside from this, I've fixed a few random glitches that had to do with the water shield. For example you cannot bounce on spikes, and some things I overlooked like being able to attack enemies or use your shield moves after bouncing off of a spring. Also thanks to my friend Hezman(who is working on Sonic Classic; info can be found at http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Classic) who pointed out that you can't turn while rolling/spindashing but I guess that only makes sense.

Well, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment